Thursday 5 July 2018

What a life!!!

Hi everyone! I am Priyanka. My dad calls me by my pet name "Pinka". I am 10 yrs old. I live in among tea trees in the hills. My dad is manager in a tea garden. It is situated in the hilly region overlooking a river. Our house is situated among the tea plantation. I wake up every morning early and look out of the verandah at the green sea of tea leaves. Not far are the blue mountains dotting the horizon. My dad calls me for the morning milk and biscuits. He soaks the biscuits in milk and puts it in my mouth.I like it that way. He on the other hand takes a steaming cup of cocoa. We then go for a walk. I am a stay-at-home child and my father is my teacher. He does not believe in schools. I do not go to school. I am home-taught. So, I stick with my father whenever I can so that I can gather knowledge. I have immense thirst for knowledge.I am a nature's child. I love to run after butterflies fluttering in the early morning sun.
It's time for breakfast. Doughnuts for me. Not far off is a bakery. Minnie anty runs the bakery. She makes fabulously fluffy cakes and pasties. I press my nose on the glass pane to see rows and rows of goodies, scones, jam tarts, cucumber sandwiches, ham pie. Minnie anty always puts out a plate for me whenever we go there. Dad buys a pound of freshly baked bread and we saunter off.
After breakfast my dad puts on his manager's coat. It is actually a khaki raincoat. Along with he carries an umbrella. He takes me along too. He tells me nature is a great teacher, better than reading books. A light drizzle of rain has started. It rains here very often almost all the time. I do not need a raincoat or umbrella, i told you earlier i am nature's child. My dad also prefers it that way. He allows me to run off occasionally chasing a rabbit into it's burrow.
My dad meets the workers daily. He meets their demands and gives them their daily wages. Some times a labourer's child may be sick, he takes the child to the hospital. I do not like the hospital. I stay back at the tea garden cafeteria. All my weekdays i have my lunch in the cafeteria. It's a hot bowl of chicken and vegetables stew lightly cooked with aromatic spices and a good portion of mashed potatoes with a dullop of butter on top. Post-lunch i may snooze off on the sofa. I am totally at home here. Nobody scolds me, not a word of rebuke. Eventually dad comes back and today's work is done. It's time to go home.
In the living room dad lights up the fireplace. Now is the time to formally study. I bring down all the books and pencils and read and draw and sketch and colour. Sometimes I spill colour on the floor and roll on it too just for fun. Lucy, the maid cleans it all up. She makes me a hot bath and bathes me with soap and scrub. Wrapping a towel on my wet hair i tip toe into the bedroom to surprise dad. The house is so peaceful with smells of dinner cooking on the stove. Its baked beans today in rich tomato sauce to be had with the fresh bread off anty Minnie's bakery. I heard dad speaking on the phone. I strained my ears to catch the conversation. It seems mom is coming back, i strain some more and I think mom is bringing a new brother too. Now, i feel excited... a friend, a brother, for me to play with, a new companion, how lovely will it be?I jump out at my dad and we are so happy.
Today we are going to bring mom back from my granny's home. Dad is driving the car and I am sitting in the front seat. He hums a tune and rolls down the windows. I feel so happy... what else can I do but put my head out of the window and start wagging my tail... woof! woof!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheers 🥂

Its not the actual drinking but the romance surrounding it that puts me on a high regarding alcohol. Most of the aura of alcohol drinking ha...